Thursday, January 15, 2015

The Lego Blanket

This past year I have been busy with many projects, but overall it's been the year of blankets. Typically I have trouble completing just one woobie in a year, theres been some requests and some big life events, so the yarn has been flowing!
But the biggest project of them all: the Lego Blanket!
Last year, my friend Cassi requested a Lego blanket after she saw one that I made for my son, Gavin years ago. All the Lego patterns I originally found were not free patterns. Ugh, I have never paid for a pattern and can't imagine I ever will. So I set out to make my own. I took while to come up with the right size block, and counting (I despise counting stitches!) out a slew of different chains and when to do single crochet, double crochet, bobble stitch, ect. But I finally got it! Whew! Lego block created, and here is my "pattern"-for free ;-) :

I used a H/8 hook, and Caron's Simply Soft
Chain 16, turn, sc in 2nd chain from hook
4 rows of sc (turn and chain one at the end of each row)
On the next row *2 sc, bobble stitch, 2 sc* to the end of the row, chain one, turn
3 more rows of sc
On the next row *2 sc, bobble stitch, 2 sc * to the end of the row, chain one, turn
4 rows of sc
Tie off
(BOBBLE STITCH: yo, insert hook, draw up a loop, pull through 2 loops, repeat 5 times, draw a loop through all yarn on hook)

Now mind you, I don't write patterns, I rarely ever invent them. So if you try this and it doesn't turn out looking right, please let me know. I will try to re-write it. It should look something like this:

After making countless blocks I stitched them all together and created a thick border with a round of bobble stitches in between. Finished off with a bobble stitch edge. It took many a months, much longer than it should have, but I finally finished it! It turned out pretty heavy, but oh so cozy. And Cassi's son, the Lego enthusiast loved it!








2 comments:

  1. This is the prettiest crochet lego blanket I have seen. I will definitely use your pattern. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love this. I have tried several lego blocks and all came out super clumsy. Want to make for my son in college - he loves legos. Take me years maybe? Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete